Outstanding Lecture

I read this over the weekend while enjoying a gorgeous Saturday.  I had a small booklet with David McCullough's 2003 Jefferson Lecture on the Humanities.  Well worth the read...McCullough is one of the best historians of this generation.  I really loved McCullough's 1776 and I think he really captured the sentiment of that tumultuous year when the American Revolution nearly ended.  I have not read his John Adams but the HBO series was really, really good.

Here's one of my favorite quotes from his lecture:
 There should be no hesitation ever about giving anyone a book to enjoy, at any age. There should be no hesitation about teaching future teachers with books they will enjoy. No harm's done to history by making it something someone would want to read.
Certainly true for how I learned history...from my local librarian.

Comments