Intellectual Twinkie Time

Yes, we interrupt our usual political snark, weighty book reviews (the books, not my reviews) to bring you an intellectual Twinkie...NO, not Obama's latest jobs plan...or Middle East peace plan...we're talking MONSTER HUNTERS here...okay, maybe I lied about the political snark....

Oh, Yea...Larry Correia's newest Monster Hunter book, Monster Hunter Legion, came to me, courtesy of the B&N member discount and I was a little surprised to see it in hard cover....yup hard cover...clearly Mr. Correia has hit the big time...I remember buying the first three books in paperback..and now WHAMMO straight to hard back...cha ching ----$$$...good for you Larry (can I call you Larry?  Please don't send a werewolf after me). 

Of course the series has been tremendously successful...and rightly so.  Mr. Correia (yea, let's go with that) makes no bones about what he loves- GUNS and Monster 'B' Movies...and although it seems weird that he can weave a series of masterful tales from these two things...he does.

So, are these paragons of literary prose?...dripping with an intricate plot, witty dialogue and spin-tingling action?....well YEAH...they are...the Monster Hunter series does what any good series should do...create a set of lovable endearing characters (although these have body armor and machine guns) and then create an interconnected set of stories that draw you deeply into the action, and more importantly...into the characters.  After all, who wouldn't want Owen Zastava Pitt in a foxhole with them..a hot babe like Julie Shackleford for a wife, a smokin' girlfriend like Holly Newcastle, or a boss like Earl Harbinger...okay we might have to reconsider that...Earl can be howling mad sometimes...HEY read the books and find out what I mean.

Mr. Correia combines what must be a scary imagination with what I can only assume is a massive library of monster movies to create evil creatures and villains that might even make Madonna blush...although I doubt it.

This particular volume brings together several plot lines, past events, and characters from his previous Monster Hunter books to create his most ambitious novel yet...which I must confess I stayed up until nearly 2 in the morning to finish.  His dialogue is awesomely snarky, his characters seem real..if you know what I mean...and even though he uses monsters...the science (as it were) that he weaves into each book may have you checking under you bed for the boogieman.

I HIGHLY recommend this book...but start with the first volume if you're a NEWBIE...you won't be disappointed...unless you think Dreams of My Father was the best autobiography ever.  Of course there was one downside...Mr. Correia clearly has a multi-book deal going....the book ended with...well not quite a cliff hanger...but MUCH business unfinished.

ARGHHHH, that means I have to wait another year.................

Maybe in the meantime he can write the next volume in the Dead Six series.....



Comments