Memorial Day

Today is Memorial Day, and like millions of Americans, I am enjoying the day off with some manly lawn mowing, lots of war movies, and some quality time with my +1.

However, I started my day off with Mass at our local parish to pray for the souls of all those who paid the ultimate price for our freedom. I hope everyone continues to pray for our servicemen and women serving overseeas.

Abraham Lincoln said it best:

We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this. But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate, we can not consecrate, we can not hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here.

Comments