Catching up on some books-Fiction Addition

Alas, life has prevented blogging for sometime....which is too bad as the many misadventures, screw-ups, and general malfeasance of this Administration continue...but more on that later.

It's time to catch up on some books...although it has been a very slow start, I am hoping that 2015 will be a better year for books than 2014 was...there are many historical milestones this year...the 150th Anniversary of the end of the Civil War, the 200th Anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo, 50 years since the inauguration of American combat troops in Vietnam--including the landmark Battle of the Ia Drang Valley, the 70th Anniversary of the end of World War II, and, last but not least the centennial of World War I continues.

To start the year off, I have encountered a pretty decent novel and the latest edition of the "In Death" series.

 I found this book on Kindle through one of those daily bargain kindle email pushes called Bookbub (www.bookbub.com).  I will say that most of their recommendations are meh, ok...but sometimes they have a little hidden gem.  This bite sized book was one of them.  I really like mystery and science fiction and this offers a nice mix of both.  The author's debut novel, it has nice pacing, sympathetic characters and plenty of plot twits.  At times, it DOES require a bit of imagination to get over the plot holes...sometimes BIG darn plot holes..but overall was a very pleasant diversion for a few days. 
J.D. Robb, nee Nora Roberts is truly a writing machine.  This volume, the 40th in the series, shows that this series shows no signs of abating anytime soon...to the delight of devoted followers of Eve, Roark, Peabody, and the cast of characters devoted fans have followed for nearly 20 years.

Since my significant other got me hooked on these many years ago, I have looked forward to my twice-a-year dose of murder and snark from this series.  Although some of the books have been indifferent from a mystery point of view, the relationships (argh, did I say that?) of the characters have kept his series not only going, but getting better and more interesting.

This volume is one of the better mysteries, leaving the reader hanging until almost the end of the book before the veil starts lifting.  This book moved at a pretty fast pace and when the plot starts to really thicken, I admit I was turning pages quickly to see if a major character was going to meet an untimely demise.  I won't spoil it, but I will say the ending was quite satisfactory and I am ready for the next volume. 

I don't know if there will be an awesome new Monster Hunter or In Heat book this year, although I am very hopeful that Brad Thor and the author taking over for Vince Flynn will come through with new books...otherwise it could be a very spotty year for fiction, as far as I am concerned.  Which will be okay, I guess...there is a lot of good history coming out this year.  More on that later.

Comments