American Sniper-Yes! Hot mess of an author-Yes?

So, as I anxiously await my copy of American Sniper on Blu-ray, I decided to download this book on my Kindle.

Now, don't get me wrong, Chris Kyle clearly LOVES guns...and is very good at using them to send Islamoterrorists to meet their 72 virgins and Allah.

But, as an author, he clearly needed a better ghost writer for this book.
Although I enjoyed his enthusiasm and his story telling, I found the book more than  a little ADHD and unfocused.  Each chapter started with one of his chosen firearms, but then wanders off to talk about other contemporary firearms and a little history too.

Unfortunately, it is not well woven together and would be highly confusing, I think, for the reader who knows nothing about guns or American history.  I actually think he did a pretty good job of choosing the 10 firearms-especially his choice of the Colt Revolver, .45 M1911 pistol, and the M-1 Garand rifle.  His research is also pretty good, and from a technical point of view, his viewpoint is right on about why each of these guns was nearly revolutionary for their time.

I just wish this book had been organized better and stayed on track.  It was a fine effort that needed a tad more focus.

Comments