It's been a year....

It's been a year since our sweet Courtney finished her journey here on Earth and returned home to God.  In that time our family has undergone many changes, begun new challenges, and generally tried to reorient so much of our lives that was built around the daily care and love for our daughter.

It has not been easy.  For many weeks, Mary or I would wander into Courtney's room at random times in the evening to check on her...except she wasn't there.

We would find little reminders like her wooden spoons still in the silverware drawer or a pair of socks that sunk to the bottom of the sock drawer.  

I found myself randomly saying the words to Fox in Socks or Green Eggs and Ham remembering how much she would giggle when I read them to her.

Of course, I did remember that there would be no more swine flu diapers to change, or no more spinach soufflés sneezed at me and I thought "I won't miss those, for sure."

But Courtney was truly the heart of our home and her presence is missed on a daily basis.

However, life goes on, and I know that's how Courtney would want it.  She was always full of joy and laughter and even in the roughest times would smile for her mom or me..and especially her big brother.

We know she is in a better place, with no more seizures, pain, suffering, or sorrow.  She knows only joy, peace and happiness...as it should be...she was a true prayer warrior here on Earth and continues her prayer service in heaven.

We miss her and love her.

“Day is done, Gone the sun,
From the lake, From the hill,
From the sky.
All is well, Safely rest,
God is nigh.”

Comments