Excellent books to start the new year.....

I love good military science fiction.  Starship Troopers remains one of my favorite books, the horrible movie notwithstanding, and it was required reading in my plebe leadership course at ol' Canoe U.  I also immensely enjoyed Ian Douglas's early series on the Space Marines.  Futuristic military fiction like an early anthology by Stephen Coontz and the early books of Harold Coyle are also some of my favorite fiction.

However, good military sci-fi is very tricky to write as you have to seamlessly blend in futuristic technology without forgetting the essential human element of war.

I heard about these books right before Christmas, got all three so I didn't have to wait between volumes, which I really hate, and set out to finish them about two weeks ago.

The series is, in a word, magnificent.  I consumed these books like a bag of Fritos and enjoyed every bite, until the last page and then I wanted...another trilogy.

Ms. Nagata hits all the right buttons in terms of military sci-fi--cool technology, interesting and sympathetic and at times really FUBAR characters, a plot line that races along at Mach 3 and a nearly seamless transition between books that is really impressive.

These are fun and serious, and at the end you wonder...wow, how long before something like this really happens...I won't give any spoilers, but needless to say, much of the technology in these books exists, is being developed, and could be fielded by US troops in the next 10-20 years. 

Short and too the point--if you like Tom Clancy, David Webber, Ian Douglas, Stephen Coontz, or even Vince Flynn or Brad Thor..yes I love them all...go buy these books...ALL of them and sit back and enjoy them.  I promise you won't be disappointed.

Comments