Grouchy Historian's Favorite Fiction books of 2019

Now I don't normally read nearly as much fiction as non-fiction.  And of course, I usually only read two genres...mystery/thriller/spy and science fiction.  Yea, no chick lit or deep serious politically woke fiction for me.  My honey-lamb makes me watch the movie adaptations of those books anyway---most of the time.

This year was pretty good, with strong showings by the successor to Tom Clancy, Brad Thor, and Mitch Rapp (or his estate)--to be honest I'm still waiting on the Mitch Rapp book, but I KNOW it will be awesome.  And we actually listened to two of Baldacci's King and Maxwell series on the road trip to Oklahoma, which were also pretty darn good.

BUT, the winner is:
 This book was just awesome.  Greaney made a name for himself as Clancy's immediate successor in the Jack Ryan series and all of his books were fantastic.  Now he has started his own franchise, I think, with this marvelous entry.  Very reminiscent of Clancy's ground breaking Red Storm Rising. Taut, fast paced, gritty, this was a page-turning rocket that I couldn't put down.  I was happy to get a review copy from my buds at the New York Journal of Books, and my full review is here.  He's already foreshadowed a sequel and I, for one, look forward to it.



Brad Thor continues his awesome Scot Harvath series with a very psychological thriller.  The dark side our hero comes out in this book as Thor continues from the cliff-hanger of his last novel.  It starts off at 100 MPH and just steps on the gas.  Intense is not enough a word for this.  All I can say is--Payback is a bitch.
I again got an awesome review copy from my buds at NYJB and my full review is there.



Once more, all my books from 2019 are here:


Comments